Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Crickets

Well, G. and his daughter went up to the cottage for a week, they'll meet G.'s son (from a prev. marriage, he is 22) and G.'s mom. So G. gave me keys to go to his apt. and feed the fish and the lizards. The fish are a no-brainer, we have a fishtank, too, sprinkle some flaky fish food into the tank and they are all set. Not so the lizards. G. promised he'll feed them before he leaves, so I only have to feed them once, but forgot that it was Canada day on Sat, and all the stores were closed. So today, on my lunch hour (I debated whether to have my lunch first and then go, or leave the lunch for after the ordeal, but I was hungry and I figured I'll have no stomach for my sandwich later... I was right). So, I went to Pet Paradise, the place for the pinhead (XS size) crickets. I was of course, immediately distracted by puppies, kittens, guinea pigs, bunnies, and all kinds of CUTE and FURRY animals. There was an orange kitten that TOTALLY wanted to come home with me, and a black Scottish fold kitten (they are the ones that have ears like a dog's, the tip hangs over the ear, it's adorable) wanted to come as well, but I resisted the urge. Instead I went over to the reptile and other disgusting pets section (NOT furry, well, except the tarantulas, but DEFINITELY NOT cute), and asked the girl there to get me 50 (!) crickets. She was very brave, she scooped them out with her hands!!!!! EWWWWW. Wouldn't want THAT job... She put them into a bag, with a piece of an egg carton thrown in, which they immediately used to hide in. I paid $4 for them, too much for such disgusting things if you ask me.... LOL. So I went over to G's apartment, opened all the windows to air it out a bit while I was there. Fed the fish, that was the easy part. Then, carefully, VERY CAREFULLY opened the top of the terrarium, cut open the top of the bag and quickly dumped the crickets in. Thankfully, they slid out of the bag, egg carton and all. That's when I realized I should have dusted them with the mineral supplement for the anoles (the type of lizards G. has), but I definitely wasn't gonna take them back out, even if I could... So the anoles will have to make do with "unspiced" prey this time. Lizzie and Matt (Grace named the lizards, of course) immediately went for the feast, happily crunching away on the crickets, who were desperately trying to find their bearings and hide under the mulch and rocks in the terrarium. They weren't fast enough, Lizzie and Matt both had a good lunch, but I didn't stay around to watch the entire thing. After I made sure they are eating, I left them to their gory feast. I did make Grace's bed and tidied up her room, she had laundry all over her bed and her books and toys scattered. Next time I have to feed the things, on Friday, I'll make G.'s bed too. And MAYBE fold his socks.... LOL. I miss him. We talk almost every night on the phone, about our day and all kinds of stuff. I love the man's mind, what can I say? I have a weakness for intelligent men. I will even buy crickets for them! LOL

1 Comments:

Blogger Ken Breadner said...

Hey, at least the lizard didn't slither out of the terrarium and take off for four days. *smile*
That took some courage, girl. Ugh. Crickets.

6:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home