Sunday, May 14, 2006

Things I love in my life

In the last few days I've been in such a funk, I decided to concentrate on the things I love in my life.

Home:
Spring! It's here! The smell of lilacs and lily of the valley in my back yard. Fruit trees covered in flowers. No more heavy coats and shoes. Fresh air. The feel of my bare feet on the warm wood of the deck. The laughter, giggles and sounds of Lydia and her friends playing while I read my book, sitting on the patio chair. Sleeping with the window open. The scent of my tangerine body scrub shower gel in the morning, and the strawberry conditioner that leaves my hair feeling silky and sweet smelling. Driving with the window open. Two cats purring in my bed when I lay down for a ten-minute afternoon shut-eye break. The feeling of AHHHH when I sit down after I finished cleaning and look around. My big bed with the soft quilts and teddy bear.

My kid:
Her hugs at bedtime. Her excited little voice telling me about her day at school. Her laughter when she watches a funny show or hears a joke. The two of us singing "Brown-Eyed Girl" in the car. Her rosy cheeks and nose from playing outside. The scent of baby lotion on her skin that I still use on her after her bath (while I still can). The way she fits perfectly into my lap when she needs comfort. Her bum sticking up in the air in her morning stretch when I wake her up. Her tiny toes in a row, like pearls. Her questions that baffle, amaze, amuse and shock me. The feeling of still being her most important person.

Love:
The feeling of desire washing over me when my lover looks at me with heat in his eyes. His touch. His arms around me and the scent of his hair when he hugs me. His blue eyes looking into my soul. The scent of his house. His deep voice that vibrates down to my belly if I close my eyes when he speaks. His kisses, soft and tender everywhere. My mouth on him, his hot skin under my kisses. His bum, round and cute.

Friends:
The support and love we give each other. Hugs. Long chats over coffee. Exchanged Black-Eyed Pea recipes. Funny emails that perk up your day. Sunday afternoon MSN chats with the girls back in Hungary. (Silvie showing off her pregnant belly, Johanna's kids popping up in the background, Orsi's poetic descriptions of her trips). Chats about relationships, kids, mothers, books, movies, whatever. New friendships that are just blossoming and ones that are so old you have no secrets from each other and you still love each other.

My body:
The shape of my eyes and mouth. My boobs. My smile. My hands, hardworking and no-nonsense.

Work:
The feeling I get when all the numbers on the balance sheet match! The feeling of being useful. Quick chats by the coffee machine. My mind engaged in what I'm doing. The day going by so quickly. The feeling of accomplishing something. Crossing off another finished statement on my list with an orange marker. The opportunity of independence that comes with the paycheque.

"There will never be a perfect day, but there will be lots of perfect moments."

1 Comments:

Blogger Ken Breadner said...

I think everybody should pause and write their own list, like the one you just did, especially when they are feeling down. Bravo!

5:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home