Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Spreading the Word

Yesterday, I was at the Galleria, in the Library corridor, standing beside the table that was promoting the Humanist Association. It was really fun, I had a ball. There was an African movie premier in the Wolf Hall next door, so there was a lot of traffic. All kinds of people stopped by to take a look. One thought I was collecting money for children in Africa (because of the "We are all African" sign), but I told him I'm not collecting money for anything, and gave him a flyer with our next meeting information. One woman stopped by, then left, then came back and said apologetically that she is only picking up information for her son, because he says he is a humanist. She rambled on, saying she is quite comfortable in her faith and with her church, probably was worried that I'll try to talk her out of it and turn her onto some ungodly path... LOL. I said, take a look for yourself, too, and gave her a flyer with the Humanist Principles. She was reading them when she left... Another woman came up (she works in the library, so she's seen the display before) and said, oh, it's too bad I'm Jewish, or my husband and I would join, I think you have the right message. I said, being Jewish doesn't exclude her from being a humanist. She said, but I thought you were all agnostics, so I explained about the secular and non-secular humanism. She still didn't take a flyer though... :-( I chatted with a guy from Montreal, who said Londoners were much friendlier than people back there. He also took the meeting flyer and the other stuff too, the Humanist Association info. One guy acted like he was really interested and friendly, but in the end, he just wanted to ask me out on a date! EWWW. He was really yucky, too, kinda greasy. I said, sorry, I'm just here to promote humanism, not looking for a man... There was a really nice guy who was so interested, he wanted me to send back issues of the newsletter, and he wrote down his name and email address on the signup sheet! Now, if HE would have asked me out, MAYBE... LOL, he WAS cute, lanky, tall, lean, with chocolate brown skin and gorgeous eyes. There was a young kid (late teens, maybe, which was surprising, because most teenagers just looked at the display with total disinterest, or didn't even look, as they passed by) who said, oh yeah, I've heard of humanism before, so we chatted for a few minutes and he took one of everything and signed up for the newsletter too. There was a woman, totally Mother-Earth type, flowing tunic, big canvas bag, no bra, wild hair, Birkenstocks, she took all the flyers as well. It was also fun watching the people who walked by; the goth kids with their black clothes and tattoos; the little fashion plates with kitten-heel shoes, chokers and layered t shirts; the bums, stopping people to bum a quarter; the geeks, their heads buried in the books already, not waiting to get it home (I could totally relate); the business people, all dressed in workday clothes, too busy to look my way; parents taking their kids to the library after school. I love people. Love watching them and trying to figure out what they are like, or what they do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ken Breadner said...

I like a faith that doesn't force itself on other people. I'd consider myself a non-secular humanist, I guess--I believe in a higher power, but I don't believe it's some kind of old guy with a beard sitting on a cloud somewhere. I believe that that higher power doesn't care whether or not it's referred to as God, and that it's different for everybody. I don't see anything in those Humanist Principles that I disagree with.

5:09 PM

 
Blogger flameskb said...

Exactly! I think they all make a lot of sense. And it doesn't matter what your background is, it applies to everyone, whether they admit it or not. There are times in my life when I believe in "faith" or something bigger than ourselves, but mostly, I like the idea that you can behave ethically and responsibly, even without the "wrath of God" hanging over your head. I think that kind of religion had a place a long time ago, when mankind was still raw and violent, but in these times, it doesn't have as much revelance anymore. I mean, we all know that you're not supposed to murder, steal, lie and have sex with your siblings... it's time we look beyond that and see what else we can do to make the human experience better.

6:50 PM

 
Blogger Ken Breadner said...

Well put. I never did believe in the 'wrath of God' stuff, anyway. It never failed to amaze me how the people who told me God loved all of us were the same ones who told me I was going to hell...

4:30 PM

 
Blogger flameskb said...

I know, I had this argument with Christians before (not my mother, I don't bother arguing with her about this stuff), but it's totally useless. Even otherwise intelligent people can explain it away in their mind and make it out to be a positive thing... Not that I'm buying it. LOL. Most of them say it's to keep the "free choice" open for people... But tell me this, then: if it's free choice, how come they say that God knows EVERYTHING. What happened and what will happen. Soooo.. If this magical being already knows what's gonna happen, it's basically pre-set and there IS no free choice.... Oh, f*&@, don't get me started on this... Stop, Flames, STOP. LOL

5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home