Friday, May 19, 2006

Nostalgia

hit me today, must be getting old. LOL. We had this singer in Hungary, his name was Zoran. He was originally from Yugoslavia, a Serb, I think, but he grew up in Hungary. He (and a few others) were very critical of the government, even in the times when that was dangerous. They managed to slip a few songs past censure by hiding the meaning in allegories, or by being sarcastic. One of my favourite songs in my teens were one of these, although I didn't understand the hidden meaning until later. It was just after another round of "free elections" when yet again, the communist party was elected (well, who else would it have been????).
The song is called "Don't wait for May" (in my humble translation, which probably doesn't even come close to the quietly desperate feeling of the original). Now, if I can figure out how to load the actual song on there... though you English-speaking people wouldn't understand the words, it still has a lovely melody.

Zoran – Don’t wait for May

Get ready for a long winter, my love,
Because I think this winter will be a long one.
Put the warmth of my heart away for me,
And I will guard the light in your eyes for you.

Gather everything that’s left for us,
And slowly burn the dreams away.
Turn the flame down my love,
I think we will need the fire later.

Bridge:
Don’t wait for May, the winter is coming,
Don’t wait for May my love.
Dress warmly when you go out to the street.
And if you’re cold, cuddle in my bed with me.

Be serene, cheerful and quiet.
Smile sweetly even when you’re hurt.
Be a river, and when the harsh light hits you,
You’ll have a shield, hard and pure white.

Don’t wait for May my love….

Get ready for a long winter, my love,
I think this winter will be a long one.

Another one of my favourites is about generations growing up always waiting for a "better tomorrow"

Zoran - Better tomorrow.

It was a long time ago, we were living those anxious years.
My mother fearfully whispered: we will have a better tomorrow.

It was a long time ago, she doesn’t speak of it anymore.
But all her dreams still live in us: we will have a better tomorrow.

Better tomorrow, what trumpets is it waiting for?
What generation will it come to? What stars say that
one day, there will be a better tomorrow?

It feels good now. You still fit perfectly in my lap.
And you are worth more to me than the whole world,
and all my dreams live in you.

If feels so good. When you grow up, look farther.
Maybe on the globe you’ll live on, peace will one day reach around.

Better tomorrow, maybe it won’t run from us any more.
I opened the window of my soul; I want to believe that one day,
there will be a better tomorrow for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home