Monday, May 29, 2006

Da Vinci Code

It was HARD work to get G. to come with me to see the movie. He's read the book and enjoyed it but he read all the crappy reviews and didn't want to see it. I told him I didn't believe the critics and wanted to make up my own mind whether I like the movie or not. I had to bribe, cajole and threaten and pout prettily until he finally gave in. I also promised him I'll finish the book he gave me MONTHS ago and we'll talk about it if he comes with me. We went to the Huron Marketplace Cineplex, to avoid the crowds, and even still, there was a lineup and the theater was more than half full about 20 minutes before it started. Going there, we discussed theories about why it would be a bad movie, and I could only think of one thing that could possibly make it bad: Tom Hanks... I'm sorry, I just CAN NOT imagine the guy in any kind of a romantic hero type role (I know I know, sleepless in Seattle, yadi yadi yada, still, to me, the guy will ALWAYS be Forrest Gump, Life is like a box of chocolates and those nerdy white sneakers). Anyways, the critics said Hanks and Audrey have no chemistry, well, for heaven's sake, of COURSE not, who DOES he have chemistry with????? Anyways, in the book, it wasn't really emphasized that there HAS to be a romance between them. Yeah, sure, he found her attractive, and sure there were some affectionate hugs in the aftermath of life-threatening situations, but heck, all that adrenaline, who WOULDN'T get horny? G of course defended Hanks, he brought up movies like Saving Private Ryan, etc., I had to agree, ok, he was good but it doesn't change my perception of him. So anyways, we had fun just getting there! In the lineup we ran into one of G's friends from work, but he was there for the XMen with a friend, so he didn't join us. Which was just fine, I wanted to cozy up to G. anyways. So after the obligatory previews and commercials (btw, have you EVER felt you forgot what movie you were there to see, there are so bloody many of them?????), finally it started. And you know what? I was RIGHT. The movie was great. Sure, there weren't any cars blown up and there weren't magical special effects, but there WAS a car chase (Audrey driving in REVERSE!!!!), there WERE gory bits (the monk beating himself with that ropey thing and tightening that awful spikey belt around his thigh was GROSS) and plenty of suspense, even if you already knew how it's gonna end. I didn't think the explanations were overly long or boring, after all, they WERE integral parts of the story. They COULD have put in less flashbacks from the character's memories, but oh well. G. was just shocked that the movie was good, and I gloated. LOL. I said, see, you can't believe stuff you read in the papers!!!! So on the way back to his apt, we discussed (half-jokingly, half-seriously) that there is an actual conspiracy and smear campaign stemming from the church and Opus Dei to try to prevent people from going to see it. (Yeah, and there are albino monks who execute people who liked it too much, LOL).
Hah, Ken the Breadman, I beat you to it! Now let's hear what you thought about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home